From:
David Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:02:38 -0500
I ran a few camps in the past two summers and it was truly a delight to
see that several of my former students had found their way onto teams
this season.  I have to say though that the level of training offered in
a week long camp is not a prerequisite for participation in the FLL.

 From what I have seen, the problems that rookie coaches face are due to
difficulty in  knowing where to start.   I can't tell you how many
parents that I've advised, had purchased a retail kit for their child
but never bothered to install the software.   Likewise there are many
teachers who have installed the Edu Kit's. software for their school
based club or in the classroom but never knew about the included
tutorials.    IMHO, all it takes is a few hours of an experienced
coaches time to get the new coaches acclimated .   The new coaches in
turn have to ask more questions here on the VADCFLL-L email list.

One thing that I did notice this season was a drop off of veteran
teams.  I'm thinking that this may be due to the difficulty in this
year's robot game and the unwillingness for teams to register for
tournaments - thinking that their scores were too low.   How about those
teams that  stuck it out and registered for the regionals?   Were you
surprised that most teams scored lower than prior years?

David Levy
VA/DC FLL Education and Outreach Director
3rd Year Coach