Sender:
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:58:04 -0400
7bit
From:
John Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
To: First Lego League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]>
Everyone,
Just a heads up here.  Over the past two weeks, the pair of robots we
use have started to exhibit some strange behavior.  For example, turns
were becoming increasingly inconsistent and the robot would sometimes
move in jerky movements at slow speeds.  The robots are 3 and 4 years
old and initially we thought it might be a motor problem or possibly the
new NXT software.  Our teenage mentor suggested that the Lithium Ion
batteries may be going bad.  While we were initially skeptical, since
both batteries showed full charges, we replaced the rechargeable
batteries with alkaline batteries and the robots were back to their
"normal" selves.  Aha!

The lesson here is if you're using a robot with a rechargeable battery
that is a few years old and you see some strange behavior, try swapping
out the rechargeable with a new set of batteries.  It could save you and
your team from going mad.

John

--

John J. Barrett