From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:55:32 -0400
Cindy,

I'm not an expert on advanced NXT programming, but there are a few
tricks to consider, before going to the step of deleting missions:

1. Make sure memory only contains the needed executables. Using the
memory interface within the NXT software, examine memory contents and
delete any other executables and any sound files that may be taking
up space.

2. Make sure you're using the new, more compact action blocks
released last October(?) by Lego. Those take considerably less space
than the old NXT blocks.

3. Examine the programs and see if there are any extraneous steps
that could be removed. If the kids are using any sound blocks,
expunge them: sound files take up huge amounts of space. If you'd
like, feel free to email me your .rbt files and I can look to see
whether they're efficiently written.

4. If you see that the team is repeating its use of a series of
blocks (e.g., lift-arm/drive/stop, or drive/turn/drive/stop, or
follow-line), consider creating MyBlock subroutines. The NXT online
help has a nice primer on that concept, and it's actually quite easy.
The advantage of MyBlocks is that they only need to be stored in
memory once, even if they're called multiple times. Using MyBlocks
also gets kids thinking in a more structured and mature way about
using consistent techniques to address common robot tasks.

5. Watch this space for ideas from our more experienced colleagues!

Cheers,
Mike Blanpied
Reston, VA