Sender:
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:09:18 -0400
8bit
From:
VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
I've asked about glue on mission models in the past, and Virginia/DC
FLL policy is that we do not glue together mission models in
tournament kits.

I haven't handled the viruses enough to know, but I agree that the
trailer and the groceries are kind of fragile.

With the caveats that (A) teams may not take mission models apart,
even temporarily (Rule 10) and (B) missions that obviously benefit
from mission model destruction/disassembly are marked scoreless (Rule
14):

Wheels on the trailer--the scoring condition in the dock is that the
trailer is properly loaded, and the wheels touch the dock north of the
white line.  In the example, the trailer is in the dock and the wheels
are touching the dock, so this would be scorable (if the trailer is
clean and has the meat inside, of course.)

Groceries--accidentally broken groceries can score on the table if all
parts of the grocery item have their weight entirely supported by the
table

Viruses--I haven't seen anyone's method to deliver viruses to the sink
yet, but, judging on my parts-sorting experience, I wouldn't expect
that the extra time needed to collect pieces of broken virus to send
to the sink would be significant.  If a table referee sees that the
viruses are persistently disassembling themselves, then I anticipate
that he or she would apply Benefit of the Doubt when assessing the
final field condition.  My personal rule-of-thumb is that teams get
benefit of the doubt whenever it is plausible that a mission model
failed due to incorrect assembly.

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor