FEAST-L Archives

August 2015

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Cecilea Mun <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cecilea Mun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2015 15:21:58 -0700
Hello. I would appreciate it if you would please distribute this request for reading recommendations through your listserv.

Best wishes,
Cecilea

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a proposal for a course and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some articles that might be good for me to include in my course. I’m thinking of having students read chapters from Chalmer’s A Conscious Mind and Dennett’s Consciousness Explained, along with articles from psychology and philosophy. Any help would be appreciated, including any comments or suggestions regarding the course content itself. I attached the course description below. Please send your recommendations to [log in to unmask]

Best wishes,

Cecilea Mun, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
St. Mary’s College of Maryland

PHILOSOPHY 300/400 LEVEL UNDERGRADUATE COURSE, THE ETHICS OF PSYCHOLOGY: SUBJECT AND THE OBJECT:

Psychology is a powerful discipline. Psychological research and theorizing is often used to construct, justify, and implement laws and public policies. Lay people and academics also rely on such information to help navigate their daily lives and make sense of the world around them. Given the influential nature of the discipline of psychology, one important question that all psychologists and ethicists ought to ask is what kind of ethical principles ought to be employed when psychologists conduct their research and report their findings. In light of the foregoing, this course will be broadly concerned with the ethics of psychological research and theorizing. It will, however, focus on the relationship between experimental researchers and their subjects. This course will take a look at well-known historical cases, such as the famous Milgram experiments and Stanford prison experiments, where subjects were harmed due to specific experimental conditions, methodological principles, and experimental practices. It will also review more contemporary psychological research in cognitive behavioral psychology, social psychology, and neuroscience.

In taking a critical stance toward psychological research and theorizing we will ask the following questions: What kinds of relationships are in place between an experimenter and their research subjects? What metaphysical assumptions regarding the ontology of a research subject, especially understanding them as conscious or non-conscious objects of study, informs the relationships that exist between the experimenters and their subjects from the experimenter’s perspective? What metaphysical assumptions regarding the ontology of a researcher informs the relationships that exist between the research subjects and experimental researchers? How do the metaphysical assumptions regarding the ontology of experimental researchers and experimental subjects influence the relationship between the two? Do the metaphysical assumptions that underwrite the relationship between experimental researcher and their subjects necessarily entail or lead to an unethical relationship between the two?