FEAST-L Archives

June 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Donna Engelmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:14:22 -0500
The book by Alfred Lubarno, Limbo: Blue Collar Roots, White Collar Dreams, is about the struggles that poor and working class people may have in moving into higher education and the professions.  I've used some sections of it with my students (in addition to bell hooks) to talk about how attending college affects their relationships with their families and communities.  At Alverno, we have an "etiquette event" for our students (they are all women) who are doing internships.  I resisted it at first because I thought it was condescending to have a dinner where we taught our students what fork to use in a professional setting, but the students themselves persuaded me that they had some anxiety about how to relate to people in such settings, because in their homes, their families never emphasized "manners."  The other thing that happens at this dinner is that alums come and there's a networking period before the sitdown dinner, so students can work on their "cocktail party" conversation skills.  What we are trying to do is help our students, no matter what their race or ethnicity, avoid negative judgments about their class origins. I still feel uncomfortable about it, but I attend the dinner myself.  It turns out I have been passing the basket of rolls in the wrong direction  for a long time.   Donna Engelmann