FEAST-L Archives

May 2012

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Christina Rawls <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christina Rawls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2012 16:41:03 +0000
Karen,

Your words have been received well by me, thank you for posting this incredibly important reminder and reflection. I agree with most you say here. I do not put class over race or race over class or sexism above capital or capital above sexism etc etc in importance or as root cause. They are so related, unfortunately, and so dependent on each existing in order to perpetuate the other that I just cannot say one is more a problem or cause then another. That being said, all other things  being equal, you are right on the mark! The only added unfortunate complication I would have to draw attention to is the way we raise our children in this and other countries, that is, the extreme amounts of child abuse, violence, humiliation, and what we implicitly and explicitly teach our children about violence, money, race, class, women and on and on. The statistics on child abuse in PA alone are horrific. As Alice Miller and others have proven repeatedly, humiliating a child or doing any form of violence most often if not always leads to those children becoming adults who either are also violent outwardly or who find indirect ways to abuse others. In this this, I truly feel Ms. Reily, the author of the CHE brainstorm(s), has found yet another way to abuse individuals in her adult life. Education, as I'm sure you'll agree, is key here, but education about child rearing is also related to the class-race-sex issues as well.

Christina

Christina Rawls, ABD
Department of Philosophy
Duquesne University, Pittsburgh