FEAST-L Archives

May 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 22:44:47 -0400
Ellen and all:

I meant primarily to raise the issue and questions, and apologize to all if I implied that pathologization of intersex conditions is somehow a simple ahistorical process.  I would like to offer some further support for your argument that the various medical conditions that underlie the "intersex" part of these conditions are ignored or deemphasized by folks in both the medicalization and the anti-medicalization camp (not that you need this, but it might help add to the discussion).

A student of mine who I have had several times in her graduate career recently wrote a fine paper for my Defining Disease course on Congential Adrenal Hyperplasia--a condition which she has--in which she made essentially this same argument.  She wished to draw attention to the fact that many "intersex" conditions are far more than "disorders of sex development", that the contested normativity largely surrounds that sex development issues and thus great gobs of medical attention are paid to those aspects of the conditions, and that this has led to what she sees as insufficient medical attention being paid to the underlying condition.  With CAH in particular, she noted that there are several forms and one is the so-called "salt-wasting" form which used to have very high morbidity and mortality.  Her conclusion was that there is a serious need in debates over medicalization of these conditions and CAH in particular to disambiguate the sex normativity issues from the metabolic issues.  And for these reasons, she found it inappropriately reductive to include CAH in any category called "disorders of sex development" because, social context being what it is, what people have and will end up seeing is the "sex" part.

Again, I meant in my own post only to raise the issue of whether medicalization necessarily pathologizes and does so in a detrimental way.  It may do so in some cases--cases related to socially loaded issues such as sex and gender, pregnancy and childbirth--but not in others.  Of course, these are the cases that most concern us as feminists.

Best,
  Alison Reiheld