FEAST-L Archives

May 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Azzurra Crispino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 23:44:33 -0500
Dear FEAST,

I wrote to David Schrader, and this is what he had to say.  I'm sure
he won't mind my forwarding it to you:

> Thank you for your note.  Some conversation on this has already
> been forwarded to me.  Right now the issue of security question is
> arising in the context of our changeover to our new on-line
> system.  As I have been told by staff, the “mother’s maiden name”
> question has been in use for years and is thus the one in our
> current membership database.  Once the new system is fully up and
> running Nikki Szymanski, our Computing Coordinator, will work with
> Janet Sample, our Membership Coordinator, to rectify this issue.  I
> surely appreciate your concerns, most immediately as a security
> concern as you have noted.  We will plan to move to other forms of
> security question, while recognizing that we have no choice but to
> work from the current membership database as a starting point.
> Please bear with us in this process as we work to make the
> necessary changes in our system.

I'm glad to see that people are asking fathers' first names, but I
can see how that might be... awkward in some situations.  I like High
School mascot as a security question, personally.

Cheers,

Azzurra