FEAST-L Archives

February 2014

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2014 19:48:52 -0600
Eva et al:

I am saddened to hear that APA is considering severing ties with PIKSI. 25% of
the students at SIUE are first-generation college students, and many of the
others are not well-off. They simply could not afford to go to PIKSI without
the full funding that is offered.  We have not had students go before, but I
routinely get students following up on my announcement once I point out the low
costs associated with it vs. the excellent opportunity that it represents. This
year, we will have at least one application.

Note that such straits are often true of members of underrepresented groups,
either due to historical discrimination and low intergenerational accumulation
of wealth, or due to ongoing costs related to their group membership such as
medical or assistive technology costs for disabled philosophers.  The pipeline
issues here are significant, and PIKSI deals with these as much as the various
APA committees (indigenous philosophers, status of women, LGBT, etc.) deal with
representation and climate for folks already in the profession as well as
pipeline issues.

How can we argue against APA withdrawal of funding for PIKSI without knowing the
rationale? Also, as a procedural matter, is APA required to provide public
rationale for ending existing programs or only for beginning new ones? Who
should be contacted within the APA's bureaucracy re: continued support of
PIKSI?

I should say that for some of my colleagues who are not explicitly feminist, it
matters immensely that it is not just FEAST but also APA that are
organizationally affiliated with PIKSI.

Best,
  Alison
   Alison Reiheld
   Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
   College of Arts and Sciences
   SIU-Edwardsville