FEAST-L Archives

May 2017

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Springer, Elise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Springer, Elise
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2017 20:38:30 +0000
Dear FEAST friends,

This moment raises all the important and difficult questions to which Linda Alcoff draws attention in “The Problem of Speaking for Others.”

I cannot speak for all those involved in authoring and signing the initial letter petitioning Hypatia to reconsider its commitment to the article. Yet I am willing, individually, to field questions and concerns from FEAST members who would like to pursue what it means to be fully accountable to one another — and to those whose struggles we support — despite the larger academic and political context of oppression. This context is one that belittles critical scholarship on race and gender, and which is all too eager to jeer that feminist philosophers are “attacking” one another.

Such mutual accountability is, undoubtedly, difficult, and I’d prefer to put my own energy into direct conversation with specific others than into drafting more emails or posts that attempt to portray our interactions in one finalizing perspective. So, here’s an invitation (parallel to Fiona’s, but from a different perspective) to follow up with more dialogue via email, and potentially by phone.

-Elise Springer, Wesleyan University