FEAST-L Archives

March 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Becky Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
discussion on ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 22:16:18 -0500
Dear FEAST members,

You should be congratulated on the marvelous job you did in responding
to Kathryn Hinsch's request.

Let me just add a rather odd personal event to the topic.  My
granddaughter, Xiaowen, age 10, adopted from China 4 years ago, is
scheduled for cosmetic surgery in May.  The purpose is to make her
somewhat 'Mongolian' shaped nose into a more delicate 'Chinese' shape.

She knows what will happen and apparently 'wants' it.  I have no idea
how it was suggested to her, or whether she thought of it herself. I try
hard  to be the kind of mother-in-law who doesn't interfere, so I
haven't 'quizzed' anyone about it.  (Any of you who know me know that I
have very strong opinions and may not, even when trying, succeed in
hiding them.)

Xiaowen has been in U.S. hospitals several times before so they don't
scare her.  Her (adoptive) mother sleeps with her in her room, and
Xiaowen, as she becomes conscious, always asks for the TV remote.

Becky Holmes
(Helen Bequaert Holmes)