FEAST-L Archives

June 2011

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Sophia Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sophia Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:53:44 -0400
Dear Fabulous FEAST members,

During my sabbatical leave I have had time to reflect on the process
of getting tenure and am very grateful to this organization and this
listserve for sustaining a sense of community, shared values, and
intellectual dialogue.

Thank you, FEASTies, for welcoming me to your group even though I did
not think of myself as a feminist for many years.  When I first
presented my work at a FEAST conference (2006 I think), I was
pleasantly surprised to discover that colleagues asked me questions to
get me to think more deeply, to help me improve my writing, and
because they truly wanted to understand the details and implications
of my philosophical views.  Unlike previous experiences I had endured
elsewhere, they were not trying to trick me into admitting that I
hadn't mastered a certain must-read text, pointing out flaws to
embarrass me, flaunting their specialized knowledge of topics I hadn't
discussed, or intimidating me with aggressive rhetoric intended to
damage my ability to think clearly.

Like the members of NYSWIP (the New York Society for Women in
Philosophy), FEAST members showed me that philosophers could offer
insightful and helpful criticisms while treating each other with
respect.  These experiences were crucial in convincing me to stay in
academia, during the many times I was tempted to quit and pursue other
career options.

The discussions on this FEAST listserv over the years have helped me
enormously.  I am grateful for the generosity of FEAST members who
responded to my various requests for help with research questions and
career advice. During the long two years between FEAST conferences,
this listserv has kept me connected with feminist philosophers doing
exciting research on gender and developing innovative teaching
strategies using feminist pedagogies.

The members of both NYSWIP and FEAST have been invaluable in my
difficult fifteen-year journey from first year Ph.D. student to
tenured associate professor.  Thank you, everyone!

In gratitude and appreciation,
Sophia

Sophia Wong
Associate Professor of Philosophy