FEAST-L Archives

June 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Norlock, Kathryn J" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:23:42 -0400
Funny, I've not found it as deep-seated as Shay, and not hidden in academic circles.  Just as I felt mannish around feminine girls, when growing up (ah, nonheterosexuality rearing its confused head), so I found immediately upon starting my first job that, when around faculty from educated families and academic backgrounds, I stick out like a sore thumb.  I understood little of what my new coworkers were talking about when they referred to the history of the liberal arts, the rankings of the most prestigious journals, the Ivies -- I never quite got down which ones were Ivy -- and subfields in a discipline of which I was scarcely cognizant before my twenties, let alone the passing references to cultural events and pursuits that no one engaged in back home. I tried to swear less and mention television less, so I suppose I made an effort at something like 'passing,' but since it was clear to me and my senior colleagues that I wasn't 'passing' at all, the word is probably not appropriate.

Now picture me around educationally advantaged academics who are also feminine women!  Ha ha!  I feel very, hm, let's say I feel my difference.

I'll never forget the senior colleague who said he was dubious about my candidacy for the job because he preferred applicants with a "long, strong background in liberal arts college settings."  He wasn't referring to work experience, he elaborated, but a lifetime of a certain kind of education.  And I though my state university was such an advance, since I was the first in my family to "go away" to school.  Needless to say, I felt very blushy and, since this is me, too tall.

Kathryn J. Norlock
Associate Professor of Philosophy
St. Mary's College of Maryland
18952 E. Fisher Rd.