FEAST-L Archives

September 2014

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Emanuela Bianchi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emanuela Bianchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2014 14:46:53 -0400
Dear All,

Tis the new book season!  I'm happy to announce that my book The
Feminine Symptom: Aleatory Matter in the Aristotelian Cosmos is out this
fall with Fordham University Press.  As far as I'm aware it's the first
continental feminist book on Aristotle's natural philosophy and
metaphysics, and would be fine addition to upper level and graduate
courses dealing with the history of philosophy from a feminist
perspective.  Here's the publishers' description:

"The Feminine Symptom takes as its starting point the problem of female
offspring for Aristotle: If form is transmitted by the male and the
female provides only matter, how is a female child produced? Aristotle
answers that there must be some fault or misstep in the process.

This inexplicable but necessary coincidence--sumptoma in Greek--defines
the feminine symptom. Departing from the standard associations of
male-activity-form and female-passivity-matter, Bianchi traces the
operation of chance and spontaneity throughout Aristotle's biology,
physics, cosmology, and metaphysics and argues that it is not passive
but aleatory matter--unpredictable, ungovernable, and acting against
nature and teleology--that he continually allies with the feminine.

Aristotle's pervasive disparagement of the female as a mild form of
monstrosity thus works to shore up his polemic against the aleatory and
to consolidate patriarchal teleology in the face of atomism and
Empedocleanism. Bianchi concludes by connecting her analysis to recent
biological and materialist political thinking, and makes the case for a
new, antiessentialist politics of aleatory feminism."

Here's a link to the publisher's website, and to the book's facebook
page:
http://fordhampress.com/index.php/the-feminine-symptom-paperback.html
https://www.facebook.com/femininesymptom

All best for the new semester!