FEAST-L Archives

November 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Gaile Pohlhaus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 07:14:47 -0800
Bonnie (et al),

My comment was said with tongue fully in cheek (note smiley face)--meaning something like exactly what you say below--I don't think that we should care for our citizens by divvying out "benefits" to households, the logic leads to all kinds of absurdities.  The retirement worry (which is a real worry for folks who choose not to have children even as they/we contribute to society and the lives of children in other ways) was meant to highlight that point as well.  One should not have to have children (or a whole lot of money) in order to make sure that someone is there when one becomes vulnerable and/or infirm due to old age.

Apologies for other interpretations abounding...

GP