FEAST-L Archives

March 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Melissa Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:14:11 -0400
I have read with great interest the must-read and subsequent comments
and want to throw in some recent experience of my own with the lack of
attention to issues around adoption. Last fall I submitted an article
for Sheila Lintott's edition "Motherhood and Philosophy" in the Wiley-
Blackwell series of books "...and Philosophy". In the call for papers
she suggested that anyone with an interesting topic might contact the
series general editor, Fritz Allhoff, to see if he was interested in
it. I emailed him with the suggestion that a volume on adoption would
be not only appropriate but would bring out issues that have been
pretty much ignored in philosophy. I offered suggestions on many
topics, trying to indicate the kinds of issues the volume could address.
I was disappointed in his response, to say the least, which was
basically: we already have volumes on motherhood and fatherhood, so
surely that's enough to do with parenting.
I didn't pursue it, partly because of time and mostly because it
seemed so clear that he was not seeing at all what kinds of issues
adoption can entail, nor what kinds of philosophical discussions could
be had.
I support Shelley's suggestion that we might do a "difficult
discussion" around adoption, although I would like to see it not be
limited to the issues already raised. My own concerns as an adoptive
mother of two older  siblings who were severely abused are  quite
different. Either way, I would strongly support any moves in the
direction of bringing adoption issues of many types into academic view.
Melissa Burchard