FEAST-L Archives

June 2013

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Audrey Anton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Audrey Anton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 22:02:22 -0700
I'm not sure where Anita is getting her information (I'm not even sure how she thinks she knows WHICH panel I am talking about, since she was not there), but I have an early draft of the Diversity Conference Program. The panel of which I spoke did indeed have TWO other speakers listed in an earlier draft. None of them was male, so it cannot be the person Anita discussed in her earlier e-mail. But this is not the point.

My point now is the same as my point in my original e-mail sent in support of the committee: it would do us well to stop jumping to conclusions and assuming that we know how much the committee tried to include X topic or have Y group represented, or what someone "implied" by saying Y comment in response to an already deeply contextualized discussion. Not only is it unreliable to do so, it is also hurtful and unfair to people and it discourages future discussions and events like the Diversity Conference.

We cannot judge a conference just by a program because there could be MANY obstacles an organizing committee faces that we just don't know. It is unfair and cruel to refuse to give the organizing committee a benefit of a doubt. They have shown a tremendous amount of good faith concerning their sincere intentions and efforts as a group of people trying to better philosophy for all of us. Attacking them without first asking what efforts were made is denying them a benefit of a doubt that they deserve.

My only intent in responding was to draw light on this point. I felt that the organizers did try to (and succeeded in) hosting an inclusive and proactive event. And when I argued this fact well, the anger shifted to me, and sentiments were attributed to me unfairly.

If we really want to have more events like the Diversity Conference, and if we want them to be successful, we need to stop attacking one another. We are, as the saying goes, "on the same team." I have no doubt that there are people who are thoughtless and unconcerned about (and even hostile towards) the rights of various people. But my impression is that this group isn't constructed of such people. Hostility needs to be directed elsewhere. The conference was terrific. This exchange is counterproductive.

Audrey