FEAST-L Archives

December 2012

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Andrew, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew, Barbara
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:39:40 -0500
A few folks asked me to share the suggestions I got.  Here is the list, in rough alphabetical order, of the suggestions I received from my inquiry. Many thanks to those who replied
Immigration/Transnational Labor

 Joseph H. Carens, "Realistic and Idealistic Approaches to the Ethics of Migration" International Migration Review, Vol. 30, No. 1, Special Issue: Ethics, Migration, and Global Stewardship (Spring, 1996), pp. 156-170
Carens' "Aliens and Citizens" (The Review of Politics 49:2, spring 1987, 251-273)
Carens, "Live-In Domestics, Seasonal Workers, and Others" (The Journal of Philosophy, 16:4, 2008, 419-445)
Carens, "Who Should Get in? The Ethics of Immigration Admissions," (Ethics and International Affairs, 17:1)

Anca Gheaus (2011): Care drain: who should provide for the children left behind?, Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy, DOI:10.1080/13698230.2011.572425

Arlie Russell Hochschild's "Global Care Chains and Emotional Surplus Value." In On the Edge, edited by Will Hutton and Anthony Giddens. London: Vintage, 2001.
Arlie Hochschild and Barbara Ehrenreich had a great anthology a few years back called Global Woman

Alison Jaggar, "Transnational Cycles of Gendered Vulnerability: A Prologue to a Theory of Global Gender Injustice," PHILOSOPHICAL TOPICS VOL. 37, NO. 2, FALL 2009

Eva Kittay, The Moral Harm of Migrant Carework:  Realizing a Global Right to Care," PHILOSOPHICAL TOPICS VOL. 37, NO. 2, FALL 2009

Rachel Kurian also has some eye-opening research about the use of international au-pairs in western Europe ("The Globalization of Domestic Care Services").

Allison Weir has a number of incredible articles on this topic too ("The Global Universal Care Giver" and "Global Care Chains: Freedom, Responsibility, and Solidarity").

The documentary Dying to Leave,  http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/episodes/dying-to-leave/introduction/924/
which relates the absence of job opportunities in the migrants' home countries to the situation of undocumented immigrants, human smuggling and trafficking.   It shows the risks involved and helps to get students to see the issue from the perspective of the migrants.  It is a bit dated - released in 2004 - and you will probably want to critique its presentation of the issue with them, but it tends to help students reframe the issue from "illegal immigrants are coming here and stealing our jobs"  to seeing it as an international  economic problem.

Barbara Andrew, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Department of Philosophy
William Paterson University
300 Pompton Road
Wayne, NJ 0740