FEAST-L Archives

January 2010

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Emanuela Bianchi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emanuela Bianchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:45:18 -0500
As someone continentally trained I confess these "Gettier intuitions"
are new to me but I have been following the thread with fascination.  It
seems to me that it requires that in order to have "knowledge" one must
be perfectly aware of all the most recent changes in circumstances (Anne
now drives a Pontiac, silly!), or rather subscribe to something like a
*fantasy* that one *could* be perfectly aware of all the most recent
changes in circumstances in the world, i.e. a patriarchal fantasy of
omniscience, most cogently and brilliantly critiqued (to my mind) from a
feminist perspective by Donna Haraway in "Situated Knowledges: The
Science Question in Feminism and the Privilege of Partial Perspective"
as the "god-trick."  If we all know that that Americophile, Anne,
wouldn't be seen dead in an Unamerican car, don't we know (to all
intents and purposes) that she drives one?  ("She drives" is, after all,
a habit, a disposition, not a singular act of driving at time t).  Might
Gettier intuiters be further pushed into specifying their knowledge - do
you know if she's driving one RIGHT NOW??  No? Ignoramus!!).  Which
leads us to questions of what we might reasonably need to "know" in
order to be said to "know" (the answers to which seem inherently and
necessarily vague and context dependent).  This thought would also seem
to have a bearing on the denial of certain sorts of ignorances that
shore up power (precisely ignorances of the functioning of power, of
class, race, gender supremacy etc. so skillfully thematized in the
recent work of Mills, Tuana, etc.) that presumably are also at work in
the construction of the Gettier intuitions.  Which is a short way of
saying that it makes perfect sense to me, Kathryn, that those in more
authoritative positions would be more inclined to "intuit" based on a
claim to access to precise and certain knowledge of the most recent and
up-to-date versions of "all that is the case."

All best and with thanks for a stimulating discussion,

Emma
--
  Emanuela Bianchi
  Assistant Professor