FEAST-L Archives

November 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Bonnie Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bonnie Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:57:03 -0800
Hi Folks,

I'm just getting back to email after a number of days away on the road, and appreciate the discussion that ensued after my prickly email last Friday.  Eva is right that there are certain aspects of the rights we wished we had that will always be tied to employment in some way. of course...and while we have employer-based insurance (the few of us who do), I would of course support everyone getting to put someone else who doesn't have insurance on their insurance policy, especially if that didn't become a reason for the employers who continue to cover their employees to stop doing so.  (Though I'd also like to put my siblings and nephews and nieces on my plan in addition to my kids and partner--and if we go there, empoyer-based insurance comes to a grinding halt--which gets us back to the same point, the whole thing is ass-backwards.)

What I'm worried about is that Obama's plan is too tied to the private insurance industry, when it seems that the cultural momentum finally exists (maybe?) to push through a real national health plan.  If folks would switch now from getting Obama elected to organizing with the same enthusiasm to get real health policies passed, we'd get it done now I think... but "healthcare" doesn't have Obama's pretty smile, and I fear that his charisma was too big a part of the mobilization to have that energy now directed at giving him a visible and in-the-streets popular mandate to do something.  In other words, I think folks won't realize that we have to make demands on him, like any other president, not just back him up, and rush up to the TV (as my 14 year old does) to kiss him when he comes on stage.  I say this as someone who has been convinced over the course of the election that Obama's call to basic human decency is actually genuine, but that's nothing without an on-going, visible, and demanding popular mandate.

Bonnie