FEAST-L Archives

June 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Gaile Pohlhaus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:32:25 -0700
Chris and Alison, thanks for these clarifications and further thoughts.  I do think it is helpful to think through the differences, similarities, ways in which axes of oppression cross and use one another, etc..  Without such comparisons I would not have been able to have made the analysis I sent--that a purportedly feminist point has an effect that furthers racism (and so undermines feminism).  So I think what I have stated (or the fact of my stating it) is consonant with your remarks, Chris.  My main criticism is that the effect of this particular comparison is deleterious insofar as it obscures racism for the sake of foregrounding sexism thereby highlighting the concerns of white women while splitting all other women (at least) in two.