FEAST-L Archives

October 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Cynthia Stark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia Stark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:29:59 -0600
My kids love going to FEAST in Florida as well,
though they are too young to really grasp (much
less be disappointed by) the idea that they will
not be going back in 2011.  We decided to make
the FEAST conference a family vacation because of
it's location.  So, in the future we will
probably not make the conference a family
vacation.  But, of course, I don't see myself as
having a very strong reason to oppose relocation
in the fact that I prefer to make the conference
a family vacation.

I should also add that I think its important to
see that the distance issue is distinct from the
cost issue.  It costs me less to fly to Tampa
from Salt Lake City than it does to fly to
Chicago.  Indeed, of the three proposed
destinations, Chicago is the most expensive for
me, even though it's the closest.   (This is
another reason why we will likely not make the
next FEAST conference a family vacation).
Indeed, unless FEASTIES decide we should hold the
conference in Las Vegas ;-), I will always have
to pay a fair amount of money to attend.  This
just what happens when you live in one of the
big, fly-over states.

--

        	      	      	      	 Cynthia A. Stark

UNIVERSITY OF UTAH