FEAST-L Archives

October 2012

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2012 16:34:18 -0500
Folks:

Our department is hiring for a tenure-track position in ethics beginning August
16, 2013. If you yourself, or a current and former graduate students whom you
mentor, are on the market for such a position, I encourage you to apply.

Further information on the university is available below the position
description and application instructions, which follow immediately.  All wording
between the dotted lines is taken from the approved job ad as available on our
Human Resources page at
http://www.siue.edu/humanresources/employmentopportunities/faculty/cas/FY13-
25f.shtml and in the JFP.

The potential candidate will teach three courses per semester.  The department
is seeking a person who will be an excellent teacher.  Continued outside
research activity is expected.  Department and University service obligation and
other duties assigned by the Chair required.  Areas of specialization:  Applied
Ethics.  Must be able to teach Reasoning and Argumentation and either Medical or
Engineering Ethics.  The department also has teaching needs in American
Philosophy and Philosophy of Art.  A PhD is required.  Persons who are ABD may
be considered for a one year term appointment at the rank of Instructor but must
complete degree within one year of employment.  Teaching experience is required.
Preference will be given to applications received by October 29, 2012. However,
the search will continue until position is filled.

SUBMIT CURRICULUM VITAE, WRITING SAMPLE, TEACHING MATERIALS, TRANSCRIPTS, AND
THREE LETTERS OF REFERENCE TO:

Judith Crane, Chair
Department of Philosophy
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Campus Box 1433
Edwardsville, IL  62026-1433

I am happy to take inquiries about the department and the area. SIUE as an
institution seems to me to seek faculty who embody the teacher-scholar balance
of inquiry and pedagogy.  SIUE is located in Edwardsville, Illinois, and is part
of the St. Louis Metro East area.  Edwardsville itself is a lovely place to live
with a thriving farmer's market, small town downtown, and award-winning public
schools.  There are also expansive bike trails through the Madison County Trail
system.  St. Louis, Missouri, is only 30 minutes away and has many wonderful
museums (most of them free; the St. Louis Art Museum has inscribed in stone
above its entry way: Dedicated To Art And Free To All) and entertainment
opportunities in the arts.  And of course, there are the Cardinals, the Rams,
and the Blues if you like baseball, football, or hockey, respectively.

Our department is diverse in terms of content and has a strong connection with
the Women's Studies Program
(http://www.siue.edu/artsandsciences/womensstudies/), with both male and female
department members teaching courses with feminist content. Our current
department chairperson and the previous two chairpersons have been senior female
faculty and include Margaret "Peg" Simons, whom you may know of for her work on
Simone de Beauvoir.  Our department provides professional ethics
education for a variety of disciplines within the university.  Our
undergraduates maintain a local chapter of Phi Sigma Tau, the national
philosophy honors society and organize a well-reputed undergraduate philosophy
conference every year.  There is also a thriving Black Studies program at
SIUE (http://www.siue.edu/blackstudies/) and active support for LGBT students
and faculty (http://www.siue.edu/lgbt/).  The campus, itself, is heavily wooded
and has numerous trails through the woods for hiking, running, or mountain
biking.

If you know anyone who fits any part of the job description's wish list, please
feel free to forward this e-mail to them.

Best,
  Alison

   Alison Reiheld
   Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
   SIU-Edwardsville
   American Philosophical Association Committee on Pre-College
      Instruction in Philosophy
   http://plato-apa.org/