FEAST-L Archives

May 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alexis Shotwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2008 10:16:06 -0700
Dear all,

First off - I think it's great that we're trying to put mentoring systems
into place. Especially for grad students (and, dare I say, new faculty
members!) in not-very-hospitable programs, it sounds really wonderful. I
know that as a grad student I drew on systems of support far from my
institutional home, and that my survival was significantly based on the
goodwill and generosity of women who were already overloaded.

I just wanted to throw some other reflections about the institution of
tenure, job security, and elitism into the mix because I think it's
important that we not sink into a kind of ressentiment, a la Nietzsche.
The best work I've seen recently about the move toward casualised labour
in the academy (especially in the US) is Marc Bousquet's, available here:
http://howtheuniversityworks.com/

He has the intro available as a pdf:
http://www.nyupress.org/webchapters/9780814799741_Bousquet_intro.pdf

Just because many of the most dynamic, wonderful, amazing scholars who are
working with people underserved by the academic machine are working in
unstable, badly-paid jobs doesn't mean that it's *good* to have a
non-tenure stream job! I think M. Jacqui Alexander's reflections on the
revolving-door policies she and others pointed out in the New School's
approach to women of colour faculty are likewise useful. Those are
available in the chapter "Anatomy of a Mobilization" in her recent book
Pedagogies of Crossing. Sometimes people - like Nicole - make choices to
avoid the tenure track and everything to do with it; more often
working-class/disabled/queer/racialized intellectuals are pushed or
tracked into "other" spaces of precarity and devaluation. Mentoring
programs are sometimes a way to intervene in that process.

cheers,
Alexis

Alexis Shotwell
Assistant Professor