FEAST-L Archives

May 2012

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Kathy Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathy Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2012 17:08:10 -0400
This website is an excellent resource, particularly on liberal feminist philosophy and strategies for change: http://www.momsrising.org/

Kathryn Russell, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Philosophy Department
Associate Director
Center for Ethics, Peace and Social Justice
SUNY Cortland
Cortland, NY 13045
607-753-2014

From: Marilea Bramer <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Syllabi/reading suggestions for Philosophy and Family class?

Dear colleagues,

I have a very exciting opportunity for next year-- I get to teach a 200-level honors course on a topic of my choosing, and I get to teach a 400-level feminist philosophy topics course! I really want both courses to focus on issues about the family, but that's as specific as I've gotten right now. Some topics I'm thinking of including are: a discussion of care ethics, the construction of a "family" (the number of people, biological relations, etc); the choice to have children; what grown children owe their parents; the effects of having children on a the earning potential and career advancement of the parents. I know a lot of this is focused on children, but these are just ideas right now.

If you would be willing to share your syllabus or syllabi if you've taught such a class or something similar, or if you have reading suggestions for the class, I'd love to hear your ideas! Please respond off-list to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Thanks so much!

All the best,
Marilea

Marilea Bramer, Ph.D.