FEAST-L Archives

March 2014

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
NOELLE MCAFEE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NOELLE MCAFEE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2014 21:14:40 -0400
Alison and everyone,

I was a history undergrad and I’ve been involved in lots and lots of political movements.  I cannot think of a single example in the history of the world when a petition was an effective political instrument.  Can anyone?

I would suggest that those who have particular grievances be much more specific about what those grievances are (the petition is quite lacking on this and instead trades in innuendo) and that they call for some meetings with the APA leadership and membership, including some sessions at division meetings in which people can talk through their specific concerns and think through what might be some good options.  I think this is possible in the current governance structure of the APA because there are a hell of a lot of people (or at least a growing minority) who are politically progressive and open to change.  A petition is a last resort when those who hold office are not at all interested in change.  I have not seen evidence that this is the case here. So, as far as I can see, this petition is just serving to divide and polarize, not actually work toward any substantive change or even show what specific change is needed.

Sorry to be grumpy.  But we have a lot of real issues to deal with and this seems to be just sewing discord. Discord is good when it is warranted, but is it warranted here?  I would be happy to stand corrected.  if there are actual and real complaints about how disability is accommodated or not, I would like to know what these are, very specifically.

best to all, including those who might disagree with me,

Noelle