FEAST-L Archives

March 2015

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:31:30 -0500
This is me thirding Chris Cuomo's suggestions. Sorry I am late to the
party with this! To flesh out and add to Chris's recommendations....

I have used Bartky's "Skin Deep: Femininity as a Disciplinary Regime"
with great success in teaching (http://philpapers.org/rec/BARSDF-2). I
have a PDF handy that I'd be happy to send on.

I have also used Iris Marion Young's "Throwing Like a Girl" on body
comportment and discipline with great success; how we hold ourselves
is as much about norms of femininity and musculinity, and concordant
beauty norms, as is mere static appearance.
(http://philpapers.org/rec/YOUTLA)

Definitely Naomi Wolf's book "The Beauty Myth." I haven't taught it,
but it had a huge impact on me in my first Women's Studies course in
undergrad.

Not sure which Bordo work Chris was thinking of, but Susan Bordo's
book "Unbearable Weight: feminism, western culture, and the body" is
superb and filled with things that make you go "hmmmmm....."  Also,
talks about fatness, which I dig.

If you want to go outside philosophy, Marilyn Wann's book "Fat!So?" is
a magnificent polemic to consider.

Works on how beauty standards differ racially, and the imposition of
caucasian beauty standards (straight "Farah Fawcett" Charlie's Angels
hair, for instance, or the notion of "good hair" for African-American
women) are good to consider, as well.  Patricia Hill Collins has some
great stuff in that line. Specifically, Chapter 4: Mamies, Matriarchs,
and Other Controlling Images, from her book Black Feminist  Thought,
has a quite nice 8 pages or so on skin, hair, etc.

Can't recall cites off the top of my head, but there is some great
work out there on how Asian and Pacific Islander women (particular
beauty standards thereof;  Japanese and Polynesian women, for
instance) are positioned as sexualized and demure simultaneously.

Hope this helps!

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Chris Cuomo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Where's Susan Bordo, Sandra Bartky, Angela Davis, Kim Chernin, Naomi Wolf?

    Alison Reiheld
    Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
    College of Arts and Sciences
    SIU-Edwardsville
    Editorial Board, International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics
    Scholarly blog: http://www.ijfab.org/blog/author/alisonreiheld/
    Twitter: @AlisonReiheld
    E-mail:  [log in to unmask]