FEAST-L Archives

June 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Gaile Pohlhaus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:09:05 -0700
I've used chapter 3 (Outliving Oneself) of Brison's Aftermath to cover some of these issues with great results.  As she notes there, the amount of time and energy given to "increasingly gruesome and high-tech thought experiments involving fusion, fission, freezing, dissolution, reconstitution, and/or teletransportation" (38) is curious when compared to how little philosophical work has been devoted to considering the accounts of actual survivors of trauma who report a disruption in personal identity.

As for publishers of anthologies, it would be foolish not to include the Brison piece in a collection on philosophy of mind as the examples she uses there resonate so much more deeply with students, making it infinitely easier to demonstrate to them the ways in which philosophy can actually help us to understand something of importance.

GP jr.