FEAST-L Archives

May 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Norlock, Kathryn J" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 15:29:58 -0400
Below is the post I wrote on the blog, Knowledge and Experience, and shall adapt in a letter to WashU.  I'm grateful to Laurie Shrage for testifying to her experience that letters can be effective.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Higher Education and honorary doctorates <http://knowledgeandexperience.blogspot.com/2008/05/higher-education-and-honorary.html>

I was going to refrain from spending too much time on Washington U's decision to award an honorary doctorate to Phyllis Schlafly, until a professor on facebook reminded us all of this, among many, particular gems <http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=13101492771&topic=4369>  by Schlafly, from just a few years ago:

	How does it make you feel to know that 547,667 places in U.S. colleges were occupied by foreign students in the academic year just ended?

Seeing this quote prompted me to think several things. First, the answer: It makes me incredibly proud to be in service to higher education.

But then I pondered the decision of WashU to honor the author of that statement, not just with a platform, which I'd celebrate, but with a degree, before some of the very "foreign students" she would deny. And then, I felt very ashamed to be in service to higher education, if this is our practice.

Kathryn J. Norlock
Associate Professor of Philosophy
St. Mary's College of Maryland
18952 E. Fisher Rd.