FEAST-L Archives

June 2013

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Paula Popovici <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula Popovici <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2013 07:40:30 -0400
Hello,

I keep hearing this word, 'silly', in relation to efforts to make
language less sexist (since 2002 when, as a prospective licentiate, I
defended a thesis on gender neutral language and political correctness
in Romania and my (all male) examiners concluded that my motive for
writing such a thesis and engaging with such a topic was "my need to
be like men"!)

Granted, in languages such as German and Romanian that are so heavily
gendered, such efforts feel forced and alien sometimes. Similar to how
I feel when I have to use a 'male' term to describe myself as a
philosopher, my sister as a social worker or my mother as an engineer.

But this is an important topic and I would also be interested to hear
about empirical studies on the subject.

Best,
Paula Popovici