FEAST-L Archives

December 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Ann Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:12:23 -0500
Hello all,

My philosophy department has a distinctly practical/pragmatic approach to
philosophy -- we explicitly approach philosophy as life- and
community-changing. One of the happy results of such an approach is that
feminist philosophy is not seen as marginal at all, but central!

As we and our university has grown, we're fielding more and more inquiries
from our majors about graduate schools, yet we know that many programs would
be alienating to our students, who would perceive them as insufficiently
connected to social/political/personal questions and concerns.

So we're searching for some graduate programs that may prove to be a better
fit.  (America's MA in Ethics, Peace, and Global Affairs is one we're
particularly interested in exploring, just to give an example.)  If you're a
member of such a department, or know of one, could you please contact either
me (off-list: [log in to unmask]) or my colleague Dr. Martin Fowler
([log in to unmask])?  Martin will be attending the APA this December with the
express purpose of getting to know some of these programs better.

Thanks very much,
Ann

--
Ann J. Cahill
Chair and Associate Professor of Philosophy