FEAST-L Archives

November 2011

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Baich, Laura J" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Baich, Laura J
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2011 14:49:20 +0000
Hello, Iım passing on a book announcement of interest to FEAST subscribers.
--Laura

Now available from Indiana University Press:

Feminist Disability Studies
Edited by Kim Q. Hall

"Puts feminist theory and disability studies into conversation with one
another, not simply to make for an 'additive' approach, but to transform
both fields of inquiry." --Diane Herndl, Iowa State University

Disability, like questions of race, gender, and class, is one of the most
provocative topics among theorists and philosophers today. This volume,
situated at the intersection of feminist theory and disability studies,
addresses questions about the nature of embodiment, the meaning of
disability, the impact of public policy on those who have been labeled
disabled, and how we define the norms of mental and physical ability. The
essays here bridge the gap between theory and activism by illuminating
structures of power and showing how historical and cultural perceptions of
the human body have been informed by and contributed to the oppression of
women and disabled people.

336 pp., 11 b&w illus.
cloth 978-0-253-35662-8 $70.00
paper 978-0-253-22340-1 $24.95

For more information, visit:
http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/catalog/754705

For Instructors:
If you are interested in adopting this book for course use, please see our
exam copy policy:
http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/link/examcopy

Laura Baich
Electronic Marketing Manager