FEAST-L Archives

November 2013

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:33:42 -0500
All,

I'm communicating with folks about a translation of my essay, "Oppression," into Persian.  I'm told it will be available to me sometime in January, and at that time, I can run it by some well-qualified person to check the translation before I okay it.

So, I need to be in touch with such a well-qualified person.  I've seen translations of this into various languages, and sometimes some fairly serious problems have turned up.  I would like this reader to be someone who's fluent both with English and with the kind of philosophical writing this essay uses, that is, writing that is influenced by the techniques of analytic philosophy, but that also "code-switches" into fairly colloquial english, fairly frequently...and similarly fluent in Persian.   I love translations that manage to go back and forth between a fairly formal didactic sort of argument style and a colloquial style, along with the original.  Not that I can ask for some sort of "perfection"...I get it that translation is necessarily meaning-changing.  So I'll be happy if I can just locate a reader who has some capacity for checking whether the translation is relatively "correct," literally, AND whether it manages to capture to some extent the "voice."

If anyone on this list is able to do this service for me, or can refer me to someone who could, I would love to hear from you.  I will be able to pay a reasonable fee for the work.

Thanks,

Marilyn Frye