FEAST-L Archives

November 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Snow, Nancy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Snow, Nancy
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:38:29 -0600
Hi, All,

Thanks to those of you who responded to my earlier e-mail.  Several people have indicated an interest in these sources.  Here's what I've received so far:

Is the Goddess a Feminist, Edited by Alf Hiltebeitel & Kathleen Erndl, 2000

Victory to the Mother, by Kathleen M. Erndl, 1993

Also:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=victory+to+the+mother&x=0&y=0

http://www.amazon.com/Goddess-Feminist-Politics-South-Goddesses/dp/081473619X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227207344&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Devi-Goddesses-Comparative-Studies-Religion/dp/0520200586/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227207368&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Lives-Rituals-Hindu-Tradition/dp/0195177061/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227207368&sr=1-5

anything having to do with sakti, the feminine principle

also, hindu tantra is especially feminist friendly (i argue), specifically the kaula sect- but only if you want to get really detailed.

hope this helps; if you're still short, contact kathleen erndl at FSU in the religion department.

And:

You might look at Alf Hiltebeitel's work on Draupadi as well as a book he co-edited called Is the Goddess a Feminist: The Politics of South Asian Goddesses.  Also Wendy Doniger's Splitting the Difference might be helpful.

Interestingly, Is the Goddess a Feminist? shows up on all three lists!

Thanks again, all!

Nancy

Nancy E. Snow
Associate Professor of Philosophy