FEAST-L Archives

June 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Schutte, Ofelia" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 10:50:08 -0400
Interestingly, Lombardi was president of UF Gainesville before he went on to U Mass and beyond.  It was during his presidency here (if I recall) that the state university began to be transformed into a business along the corporate model.  He also developed what some refer to as the Lombardi criteria for measuring and ranking the quality of research universities ....  basically produce, produce, and keep producing measurable outcomes that are quantifiable and highly competitive academically. Also, lots of funding and PR for football and competitive sports.  'Go, Gators!' was one of his favorite expressions.  Students loved him and some faculty were appalled.
-- Ofelia