FEAST-L Archives

December 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Shelley Park <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shelley Park <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:32:11 -0500
There's a nice memoir from Islamic scholar Leila Ahmed called _Border Crossings_ that I use in teaching postcolonial feminism in my feminist theory course.  Not a theory book per se, but very useful in teaching about hybrid identities, internalized colonization, encounters with western feminism and much else . . . (including opportunities to tackle some of students' stereotypes about Muslim women as victimized dupes of their culture).

My experiences thus far with global feminism is that a) students know very few facts about any culture other than their own and b) start from a framework of 'pity' for 'those poor oppressed women over there' who don't live in the land of feminist freedom.  So it becomes really important to select texts that enable our students to see through the eyes of the 'other' rather than projecting all of their own ill-informed baggage (sigh).

But maybe your students are starting from a more enlightened place than mine :)

I'd love to know what you come up with!

Shelley

Dr. Shelley Park
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL 32816-1352

>>> Charlotte Witt <[log in to unmask]> 12/10/2009 10:10 AM >>>
Hi everyone,
I am working on a feminist theory course that focuses on global
feminism.  This is a new approach for me (i.e. the focus on global
feminism in a theory course) and I wonder if any of you have
recommendations for readings or might be willing to share syllabi etc.
Thanks in advance,
Charlotte