FEASTGRAD-L Archives

May 2009

FEASTGRAD-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Shifra Diamond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shifra Diamond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 11:31:27 -0400
Dear FEAST list members,

I'm including, below, an announcement for a roundtable discussion on
Michel Foucault's The Birth of Biopolitics, which is taking place
tonight at Stony Brook Manhattan in New York City and will be followed
by a reception sponsored by Stony Brook Manhattan's philosophy
department.  The faculty panelists are all doing very interesting work
on Foucault and on biopolitics from a variety of inter/disciplinary
locations, including philosophy, sociology and women's studies, so it
should be a good discussion.

I hope some of you in NYC will consider attending (and I apologize for
sending this so close to  the event).  Advance registration is not
necessary.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail:

Thanks.

Best regards,

Shifra Diamond
Project Co-Director,  2008-09 Seminar Series on The Birth of Biopolitics
The Foucault Society, New York City
and
Doctoral Candidate
Human Sciences: Program in Language, Culture & Society
George Washington University
Home e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Campus e-mail: [log in to unmask]

---------

The Foucault Society, New York City

presents

Michel Foucault's The Birth of Biopolitics: A Roundtable Discussion

Wednesday, May 20, 2009
6:30-10:00pm

Stony Brook Manhattan
387 Park Avenue South, Third Floor*
New York, NY 10016

*Enter at 101 East 27th Street. The entry is just beyond The Devon
Shops, dire
ctly beneath a narrow Stony Brook Manhattan banner. Visitors
will be asked to sign in and will be directed to the third floor.

Our roundtable brings together a multi-disciplinary group of scholars
to discuss new critical perspectives on Foucault's lecture courses.
We'll discuss Foucault's treatment of themes such as racism, war,
ethics, and neoliberal subjectivity; reconsider his critiques of Marx,
Husserl, Weber, and others; and situate his analysis in the context of
contemporary theorists of biopolitics, such as Giorgio Agamben and
Donna Haraway. Finally, we'll ask, how might Foucault's analysis of
neoliberalism help us to form critiques of current political situations
in the U.S. or internationally?

Pease join us for a lively conversation with faculty from the Foucault
Society's 2008-09 Seminar Series on The Birth of Biopolitics, followed
by a dessert reception sponsored by the Department of Philosophy, Stony
Brook University.

Moderator: Jeffrey Bussolini, College of Staten Island, CUNY
Panelists:
Samuel Binkley, Emerson College
Patricia Ticineto Clough, Queens College and the Graduate Center, CUNY
Jonathan Cutler, Wesleyan University
Rafael de la Dehesa, College of Staten Island, CUNY
Trent H. Hamann, St. John’s University
Eduardo Mendieta, Stony Brook University, SUNY
Ananya Mukherjea, College of Staten Island, CUNY
Alan Rosenberg, Queens College, CUNY

For complete faculty bios, visit our website and click on the links
 from ou
r newly updated home page, or go directly to:
http://www.foucaultsociety.org/2009_seminar_series_facbios--rev.htm

The 2008-09 Seminar Series is funded by a mini-grant from the New York
Council for the Humanities.

This event is open to the public.

Registration: $10. To register, send an e-mail to:

About the Foucault Society:
The Foucault Society is an independent, non-profit educational
organization offering a variety of forums dedicated to critical study
of the ideas of Michel Foucault (1926-1984) within a contemporary
context. The Foucault Society is a 501 (c) (3) recognized public
charity. As such donations are tax deductible under section 170 of the
Internal Revenue Code.

••• www.foucaultsociety.org •••