MACUSERS-L Archives

September 2009

MACUSERS-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Wes Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wes Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:13:59 -0400
Someone pointed out to me that I wasn't clear on what I'm trying to accomplish.
Fair enough :)

At the request of someone who maintains a mobile lab of MacBooks, I am trying to
put together a script that will remove any saved keychain and 802.1x passwords
for JMU-Official-Wireless, remove any of our other SSIDs from the preferred
networks list, preferably make sure JMU-Official-Wireless is a preferred
network, and finally turn the AirPort card off and back on to activate the new
settings. With JMU-Official-Wireless being the only preferred network of the
ones we broadcast, when the card turns back on and scans for networks, it should
attempt to join that one and prompt the user for their login. To do all of that
in Snow Leopard is a handful of shell commands. Leopard, however, is proving
much more difficult in certain aspects.

Ideally, this script would run as a login item the mobile lab situation. I'm not
sure a LaunchAgent (although it'd be able to do things as root) would work since
there'd be no access to the user's keychain while the machine's booting. Also, I
suppose there's the possibility of this becoming a troubleshooting tool one day
so users being able to run it would be important.

Hope that helps.

Wes

--
Wesley Davis