PACS-L Archives

February 2010

PACS-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
ehsan ahmed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pakistani-American Cultural Society <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:59:59 -0500
THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
_________
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 13, 2010

PRESIDENT OBAMA ANNOUNCES SPECIAL ENVOY TO THE ORGANIZATION FOR ISLAMIC
CONFERENCE

WASHINGTON - Today, President Obama appointed Rashad Hussain to serve as his
Special Envoy to the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC). Comprised
of over 50 member states, the OIC is the second largest inter-governmental
organization in the world. As Special Envoy to the OIC, Rashad Hussain will
deepen and expand the partnerships that the United States has pursued with
Muslims around the world since President Obama's speech in Cairo last June.
President Obama said, "I'm proud to announce today that I am appointing my
Special Envoy to the OIC-Rashad Hussain. As an accomplished lawyer and a
close and trusted member of my White House staff, Rashad has played a key
role in developing the partnerships I called for in Cairo. And as a hafiz of
the Qur'an, he is a respected member of the American Muslim community, and I
thank him for carrying forward this important work."

Rashad Hussain
Rashad Hussain is presently Deputy Associate Counsel to President Obama. His
work at the White House focuses on national security, new media, and science
and technology issues. Mr. Hussain has also worked with the National
Security Staff in pursuing the New Beginning that President Obama outlined
in his June 2009 address in Cairo, Egypt. Mr. Hussain previously served as a
Trial Attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice. Earlier in his career, Mr.
Hussain was a legislative assistant on the House Judiciary Committee, where
he focused on national security-related issues. Mr. Hussain received his
J.D. from Yale Law School, where he served as an editor of the Yale Law
Journal. Upon graduation, he served as a Law Clerk to Damon J. Keith on the
U.S. Court of Appeals. Mr. Hussain also earned his Master's degrees in
Public Administration (Kennedy School of Government) and Arabic and Islamic
Studies from Harvard University. He attended college at the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

##

Dr. Sayyid M. Syeed,
National Director
Office for Interfaith & Community Alliances
Islamic Society of North America
Phone 202-544-5656 Fax 202-544-6636
110 Maryland Ave NE,  Suite 304
Washington DC 20002