TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2018 11:03:39 -0600
Waldemar:

Sure.  Let's go with *your* definition (after Thomas Kuhn) as "a
pattern of thought, a system of beliefs, a conceptual framework."  So,
what were those thoughts/beliefs/concepts and what are they now
becoming (and please feel free to add some of your own) . . . ??

Past Paradigm

- Globalism (or "one world")
- Decentralization (or "bottom-up")
- Orality (or the "archaic revival" and "post-literacy")
- Whatever? (or the disappearance of "causes" and "authority")
- Imagination (or the promotion of "make-believe")
- Memes (or the adoption of "advertising" everywhere)

Current Paradigm

- Many worlds (or what we call "spheres")
- Re-centralization (or the re-evaluation of "democracy")
- Literacy (or the revival of asking "deep" questions)
- WTF? (or the concern over how we got into this mess)
- Memory (or trying to think seriously about history)
- Judgement (or the rejection of slogans and jingles)

In late 2015, I was asked to present this contrast at a "Future of
Text" conference in Silicon Valley honoring the work of Doug Englebart
(who is a cultural *hero* thereabouts).

Here is what I said then about the "Technological Grammar of Our Lives" --

TELEVISION (past paradigm)

Post-industrial
60%/60% (of eligible men/women in the workforce)
Post-modern
Memes
Mythic

DIGITAL (current paradigm)

Robot-industrial (i.e. the new paradigm is based on A.I.)
30%/30% (i.e. the majority of the population has no "job")
Spheres
Lyric (i.e. the reassertion of "poetry" over "philosophy")
Memory

Needless to say, the goal here is *not* to "pick favorites" or to
personally "identify" with one or another of these *paradigms* but
rather to try to understand how they came about (causes) and what they
are already doing to us (effects) . . . !!

Mark