TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2018 06:44:58 -0600
John:

I was off kayaking (and eating lobster salad at Pop's restaurant)
yesterday, so I'll take your comments one-at-a-time (the last of which
was in a private email).

#1 "Communism" has nothing to do with "cooperation."  Instead, it was
an expression of the Protestant *evangelical* expectation of an
Armageddon that would end human biology once-and-for-all.  Marx was a
hired-gun by F. Engels (paid for by his father's factory), who was
actually responsible for all this nonsense.

Engels was raised in Barmen, Germany, where his youthful experiences
were of itinerant preachers raising the roof with "Repent the End is
Near" -- whereas Marx came from Trier, where he identified with the
local farmers.

"Communism" is a fundamental *rejection* of "equipose" and instead an
attempt to end this world with a "material" version of the 2nd Coming.
  How familiar are you with the Book of Revelation . . . ??

Furthermore, what we would now call "human" didn't exist until roughly
500BC (and then only in a few places), or what Karl Jaspers called the
"Axial Age."  Hunter Gatherers were the same species but not at all
the same "phenotype" that is today encountered by anyone who
understood that term.  This is the topic of Jaynes and Donald, which I
will wait for Greg to return to elaborate.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Axial-5FAge&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=GHCgWRTvDK4nxxOO9mUcZOXeKqbTrkLmHYR2JQzUcdQ&s=k-1yHhOxtVZDQg50L5F8zha5fvPEThxP1XM1qLGmLwA&e=

#2 As an "outlying thinker," you will need to learn about Leibniz.
All in due time.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Leibniz-2DIntellectual-2DMaria-2DRosa-2DAntognazza_dp_1107627613&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=GHCgWRTvDK4nxxOO9mUcZOXeKqbTrkLmHYR2JQzUcdQ&s=aSiHYiwqsVcVrVR5hyEV7NBzagdNR_GJoX2mOvp4VEQ&e=

#3 Without McLuhan, there is no "up-to-date" regarding technology.
Also a topic for future elaboration.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Understanding-2DMedia-2DExtensions-2DMarshall-2DMcLuhan_dp_1584230738&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=GHCgWRTvDK4nxxOO9mUcZOXeKqbTrkLmHYR2JQzUcdQ&s=QWaAiedWWRHK_bXLzdPPeeVtFOcVHHiFpuDwZGwgB1k&e=

--> What you didn't address is the biological process for *destroying*
"equipose" (i.e. "progress," "communism" &c) and its relationship to
"mutation" (and/or other processes, like cancer, for instance) . . . !!

Mark