TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2023

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Daniel Popa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UTOK Society listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 14:13:37 +0200
Hello all,

As I’ve messed with ChatGPT4 in order to see what is it able to do, along with some research that I’ve stumbled upon saying that most logical, information-processing and information-based jobs are most probably going to be replaced by similar AI intelligences, I wondered what are your views on psychology as a profession.

Do you think it has any future, and if so, for how long? I’m personally inclined to consider mainly human/personal contact-based and personal brand-based psychology-related services as the main, if not only areas that will survive for the longest time, as AI cannot yet interact in a human-like physical presence with children and older people, for example, and it is this interaction that has a critical importance in younger and older ages-oriented psychology.

Nonetheless, an AI that can access to the whole research database would be able to surpass even the most experienced and holistic psychologist in any matter, in all non-human-interaction- based manner, such as; ¿what psychotherapy should a patient with specific symptoms follow?, ¿what variables are the most relevant in every functional behavioral analysis?, and so on.

I wonder what your views are on the topic, as I am currently enrolled in my sanitary psychology masters degree, and as I see these advances in AI, day by day I see less sense and purpose to my professional career, unless I force myself to specialize in one of the previously exposed domains, which are not necessarily my most vocational ones.

Thank you for reading,

Kind Regards,
Daniel.