TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2018 04:52:29 -0600
Jamie:

Good questions (so here are some others) . . . !!

As per Gregg's ToK, "Culture" is a "dimension of complexity" that
relies on "Psychology" (much as that dimension relies on "Life"), so
what are the features of human psychology at work with *memes* . . . ??

Or to put this in Aristotelian "formal causality" terms, what is the
"form" of a *meme* (i.e. what is its "internal structure") and what
form/structure does it generate in Cultures.  Having read dozens of
accounts of this and spoken with many proponents of the "theory," all
I have ever gotten is hand-waves and blank-stares.  I have yet to meet
a single "memester" with a clue about what they are talking about.
Every attempt at detailed inquiry quickly breaks down.

I'm quite familiar with the origin proposal for *memes* as the
"analog" for genes (which I know a bit about as a PhD candidate in
Molecular Biology) but that explanation doesn't help much.
Furthermore, as John has detailed for us, the "gene" is, in fact, not
the "unit of evolution" that Dawkins (a biologist who should have
known better) thought it was.  He didn't even get his "Life" right --
so why would he have any clarity on "Culture"?

A better "cultural" explanation was given by Kenneth Boulding in his
1956 "The Image" (derived from sociologist Fred Polak's 1953 "Image of
the Future") but, as an economist, Boulding also failed to provide the
psychological underpinning for his notions.  By skipping psychology
and operating at the "dimension" above, he was arguably just as unable
to understand what is going on as was Dawkins.

None of these people have a clear grasp of how "Culture" operates.
Why would "Culture" function in this way at all?  Why would there be a
"language" process which allows this to happen?  How can *memes* be
explained in terms of Gregg's TOK?

 From my standpoint (and perhaps Gregg's), there is another
"dimension" based on technology that has taken over -- defining the
"Culture" and "Psychology" dimensions.  This approach is *not*
comprehended by Dawkins (or Boulding.)  Dawkins has over-stretched his
understanding of "Life" and there is no reason to listen to anything
he says about "Culture," since he has no comprehension of "Technology"
(or the "fifth joint point.")

Ultimately, which technology generates *memes* and, since they clearly
function "pre-consciously" in terms of our psychology (i.e. are
uniformly nonsense when examined consciously, just like the
advertisements they emulate), what are the psychological processes
involved . . . ??

Mark