TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2019

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2019 06:13:36 -0600
Brent:

As you might imagine, I should resist joining this "debate," however
your latest response compels me to make a few suggestions:

1) The is no evidence that the brain "computes" anything.  Computers
are something I know quite well (having designed many of them) and it
is simply *not* possible that the biological brain is structured in
that way.  No eff'ing way.

2) By introducing the "dream test," you have shown this to be the
fact.  Which is to say, there *must* be something different going on
than simple "direct perception."  Indeed, I'd suggest that with all
this talk of stimulating sensory neurons, what is being described is
"sensation" and not "perception" at all.  None of this even begins to
tackle the important issues with perception.

3) Your "religious experience" then becomes the topic of its own
"explanation gap."  What *sensations* provoked that?  Or, instead, was
there something different, something "perceptual" (i.e. well beyond
mere sensation), involved?

I have suggested that *grammar* trumps "dialectics" -- which, in this
case, points to "sensibilities" that go well beyond the "external
senses" (and their associated neural pathways.)

In this regard, I consider John's approach to correspond to the
psycho-technological environment of PRINT (which gave us "empirical
science"), while yours corresponds to the ELECTRIC (which gave us
"modern psychology" and, in particular, the *cognitive* approach
expressed by "representative qualia.")

I don't agree with either of these approaches, since my attack on this
problem begins with the attempt to understand the "faculties of the
soul" involved in all this.  That is a SCRIBAL sensibility, retrieved
by our DIGITAL environment.

Once again, how does Canonizer deal with this situation?  If those
whose "consensus" is established all more-or-less share the same
"sensibility," then what does this prove other than to work out the
details of that *environmental* causality -- while pushing this
"formative" fact into the background.

Gregg's reply to John (on his own ToK list, where John has long been
at odds with Gregg, not on IDW) was to simply say "let's agree to
disagree."  That deliberately avoids the issue and brushes aside what,
it seems to me is most interesting about all this.  In Gestalt terms,
it is just more "figures" doing everything possible to avoid the
"ground."

Yes, I suspect that it would be satisfying for either John or you to
"win" the argument.  But, as you both know, that is not going to
happen.  Your sensibilities are at odds and neither of you will change
those.  Even if you could fully understand those sensibilities --
which, per Aristotle, means understanding their causes -- the gap
between you would remain.  Indeed, it would probably widen.

Once you admit that this is a matter of conflicting *grammars* --
unresolvable via "dialectics" -- then the door is open to considering
other grammars.  Like mine, for instance.  Or a Chinese approach,
let's say based on the Yi Jing.

Thanks for conducting this exchange.  I, for one, have found it very
illustrative . . . !!

Mark

P.S. In my approach, "consciousness" isn't even an interesting topic,
since it isn't a "power" of the soul.  Will, yes.  Emotion, yes,
Intellect, yes.  Cogitative Reason, yes.  All worthy of discussion.
But what is "consciousness" other than an artifact of a sensibility
that denies the *soul* to begin with?  Debates are framed on premises
and if that foundation is missing, then the "dialectics" falls apart.
Precisely as it is before our eyes (which is a metaphor for something
far more interesting than the sensation of "vision.")