TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2023

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Victor MacGill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UTOK Society listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2023 08:54:54 +0200
Thinking about justifications. Justifications are what we formulate in
order to maintain a reasonable cohesion between the real world and the
model we have of the real world, so that is an internal process. We
justify to maintain our expectations and the necessity to undertake a
socioeconomically expensive restructuring of the model. The external
side of the is changing the world to make it meet my expectations. A
favorite saying I have is, "When we can't find love, we make do with
power." So, we try to collaborate with others to change the world, or
the shared story about the world to minimise the difference, when the
does not work, and perhaps as a primary strategy, we use power to coerce
and influence others to acting in a way that makes the external world or
my experience of it more acceptable and decreasing surprisal. Interested
in any comments about this.  That's enough for now!

Cheers

Victor