TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

November 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2018 14:19:00 +0000
Hi All,

Thanks for the questions Waldemar! Defining science, mind, consciousness (and behavior and psychology) is very much where the action is at as far as I am concerned. I have a slightly different version of reality than Mark's Aristotelian techno-constructivist view. But there is clearly a lot of validity here.

Let me say that I ended up asking, "What is psychology?" because I wanted a coherent way to help my clients "design" better lives. That is, much like Mark's point that science relates to human needs for engineering, I saw psychotherapy as essentially a form of human engineering, and I needed a scientific description of my subject matter (i.e., distressed human persons experiencing maladaptive psychosocial patterns) so that I could operate much like a modern engineer who uses physics to design bridges or a modern medical doctor who uses the bio-physiological sciences to design medical interventions. (Psychotherapy is a formal professional relationship with the goal to foster psychosocial well-being).

But as folks on this list know, when I asked, What is (modern) psychology? I realized that there was no good frame. The field did not even know how to characterize its subject matter (i.e., Mind or behavior? Animals or persons? And since the 1940s, it has been confused about whether or not it is a science or a profession!). Modern/textbook 101 psychology is now characterized by the empirical method applied primarily to human variables analyzed via aggregate statistics and coupled to a weak, ill formed functionalist view of the mind. It is largely misguided.

"Modern scientific/empirical psychology" is conventionally dated to Wundt's lab in 1879, because he employed the empirical method, started the process of training doctoral students and started a journal. In other words, he centrally involved in generating the modern empirical method and institutional infrastructure for the field. Of course, the story of psychological ideas goes back to the Greeks and, of course, they did not materialize out of nowhere. Ever since folks have been writing stuff down (i.e., at least since the beginning of "history"), there have been psychological-type questions about how to live and concepts like behavior, mind, consciousness and their relation with the physical world.

Re science, I think of basic, modern science as "empirical natural philosophy." Modern science obtains its firm foothold in the pantheon of human knowledge with Newton, of course, building on folks like Galileo. Although not often characterized like this nowadays, Newton offered a different space time metaphysics than Aristotle (especially regarding the concept of inertia) and developed calculus to map behavioral change and formulated his laws of motion (i.e., macro-physical behavior). And that was a game changer in human understanding. (After Newton, then there was light!) It gave people the fantasy that you could empirically map the world mathematically, without any human knower components. (Ultimately, the anti-subjective knower problem is at the root of many of modern science's core difficulties, from quantum mechanics to consciousness to post modernism).

Here is my bottom line. Modern scientific psychology needs a language game that actually makes sense. "Behavior and mental processes" clearly is fallacious. If we can all agree that the modern textbook definition of psychology is obviously wrong (i.e., conceptually confused and unworkable), then we should also agree we should be on the lookout for a new way to go, and studying various proposals accordingly.

Of course, this question and problem is centrally connected to the ToK System. The ToK invites folks to define and conceptualize the universe and our terms for carving it up in a new and different way. It offers us a new metaphysics, one that is actually designed from a metatheoretical perspective to organize our modern empirical sciences. A substance-monist-but-property-quadist view, it invites us to see the world in terms of Physical-Material Objects, Biological-Living Organisms, Psychological-Mental Animals, and Social-Cultural People. And it says the cause for the differentiations across these dimensions of behavioral complexity is informational/computational/communication realized via epi/genetics organizing cells (i.e., living behaviors), neuronal networks organizing brains/animals (giving rise to mental behaviors), and linguistic justification systems organizing persons (i.e., cultural behaviors), respectively.

At one level, it is really not that complicated. Who could disagree with a Physical-Biological-Psychological-Social view of the world? Heck, when she was four, my daughter Sydney got it with "Rocks, Plants, Animals, People." But, it also is super complicated, because it is a new worldview with many new twists on old ideas (and a couple of brand new ideas to boot!). The new-old and simple-complex dynamic in the system makes many people's eyes glaze over as they stare at it.

Let me conclude by saying I find it useful to be able to engineer my life toward the ultimate good (i.e., Aristotle's eudaimonia), which is found on my signature line. It is my ultimate justification, and it is how I position myself when I do therapy.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge

Check out my webpage at:
www.gregghenriques.com