TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2018 06:46:06 -0600
Tim:

Interesting question!  Humans have *both* a body (i.e. matter) and a
soul (i.e. form) -- according to Aristotle &al, as understood for
around 2000 years in the West.  500 and 1000 years ago this was widely
understood.

That ended, however, when the Printing Press ushered in a *new*
paradigm that enhanced the body, while impoverishing the soul.  This
has led to *both* greater physical comforts and greater "spiritual"
disorder.  We both live longer, eat better and have invented multiple
ways to eliminate ourselves.

Perhaps most importantly, we have "weaponized" psychology and, as a
result, produced a population that is, generally speaking, "crazy."
As a result, my guess is that, historically speaking, we have more
people who are being "tortured" today than ever before.  Whatever you
might think about the Spanish Inquisition, it can't compare to living
many places on earth today -- like the Southside of Chicago.

Choosing between "better" and "worse" is, therefore, made very
difficult.  I would prefer to do something else.  I would suggest that
*understanding* the world in which live today and the causes that are
forming a new world is our most pressing responsibility.

In order to do that, we need to understand our "form" as humans; which
is to say we need to understand the human soul.  Aristotle is the best
place to start doing that, so we just taught a 12-class course on his
"On the Soul" (c. 350BC) at my Center. I don't know any other way to
do it.

"Psychology" is supposed to be the study of the "soul" (or "psyche" in
Greek.)  However, with the *elimination* of that concern (completed
under ELECTRIC conditions), something which we now call psychology --
minus the soul/psyche -- developed in the late-19th century,
coinciding with Max Weber's "disenchantment of the world."  Overall,
as Gregg's efforts underscore, this has been a disaster.

My answer to your question is that we will be "better off" when our
souls are being properly nourished, along with our bodies.  My guess
is that DIGITAL has a shot at accomplishing that goal -- however, to
do that means "everything must go" . . . !!

Mark