TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

December 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2018 07:58:50 -0700
Gregg:

Hey -- glad you liked it . . . <g>

This is simply what happens to people when one environment is replaced
by another.  Since the Axios folks know nothing about the "structures"
that come with these psycho-technological environments (and they've
been raised reading about "complexity"), all they can imagine is
"chaos."  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Every PTE comes with its own structures.  There is nothing that you
can do about them, in terms of trying to fight against these "forms,"
they are "hard-wired."  If you don't understand these "forms," which
is to say you don't understand Aristotle, then you are doomed to
become a part of the Borg.  Resistance is futile!

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Aristotles-2DMetaphysics-2DAristotle_dp_1888009039&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=7yL4fuTVdYdKL-puLAT2y4f2cB6nnOpx_vwHwndI6K8&s=KK6JOUCf3st4ahXbSO09cPaGvwHZS2s_pKW_JxvmYjs&e=

On the other hand, if you can actually *understand* what is going on,
then dealing with the "chaos" becomes straightforward.  No, the Axios
folks can't do that.  They are up-a-creek (environmentally speaking)
without a paddle (any understanding of PTE forms.)

Another recent post on one of my lists was from John Horgan (a
Scientific American "blogger," who I know), who has also attracted
Gregg's interest.  He is despondent about the "Dark Days."  He is a
"hippie" (who teaches "creative writing.")  He has no clue what is
going on (and doesn't want to know.)  No wonder he's upset (and, yes,
it's his own fault.)

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__blogs.scientificamerican.com_cross-2Dcheck_dark-2Ddays_&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=7yL4fuTVdYdKL-puLAT2y4f2cB6nnOpx_vwHwndI6K8&s=2F4vSJQWSYJKfwFEuvBGNL-h9qEJx4dpZIlRId8QQV8&e=

"Existential crisis" is just the naive reaction to all this.  It has
happened many times before.  It happened in the 60s, when TELEVISION
took over from RADIO.  "Burn, baby burn!"  It happened *big time* when
ELECTRICITY took over from PRINT in the mid-1800s.  Thus, Nietzsche's
"revaluation of all values" &c.

The only person I know of who has proposed a way out of all this is
Marshall McLuhan.  That is why his work is at the heart of my Center.

Marshall accomplished that by *not* coming from the usual PTE --
which, given that he was born in 1911, would have been RADIO.  But he
grew up on the Canadian prairie and was "formed" outside of that
environment -- a "peripheral" role he often commented about.  Thus
his, "I don't know who discovered water but it wasn't a fish."

If you refuse to understand *forms*, then you are lost.  If you insist
of doubling-down on the same nonsense that got you into this mess
(i.e. most ideas since 1850), then you are lost.  If you look under
the "streetlamp for your car-keys," then you are lost.  Yes, most
people are quite lost (thus their anxiety &c.)  McLuhan called this
"looking in the rear-view mirror."

One of my favorite 50s Sci-Fi movies is "Forbidden Planet."  It was
actually a treatment of the Freudian "Monster Id" and the attempts to
"tame it."  It's where we first got "Robby the Robot," who would later
give us "Danger, Will Robinson" -- which is just what Axios is saying,
while flailing their arms in the air.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Forbidden-5FPlanet&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=7yL4fuTVdYdKL-puLAT2y4f2cB6nnOpx_vwHwndI6K8&s=HGln8ysrDKXZpypdvNeXOC_uLbD2KymBs3tjH4ELIA4&e=

Recently on Alexander's "Intellectual Dark Web" private-list, I
suggested the following analogy (i.e. correspondence, not
equivalence), based on the fact that Freud was trained (in some
fashion) in *medieval* psychology --

Id ~ Imagination
Superego ~ Memory

What if the "forms" of the ELECTRIC environment favored the "Id" and
DIGITAL favors the "Superego"?  How would that transition appear to
people who have lived their whole lives under "Id" conditions?  Just
as it appears to people like Steve Levine of Axios and John Horgan of
Stevens Institute?

Yes, it would look like a "world in chaos" (when, in fact, it is
simply taking on different *forms* that remain "invisible" to those
shouting "danger") . . . !!

Mark

P.S. "Adapation" requires aligning with these new forms.  We already
know where it will "settle."  Alas, Plato's "Good" will not help.
Neither will mathematics or complexity.  Without Aristotle, we're all
"lost in space."