TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2018 02:52:20 -0600
Waldemar:

Good summary (so, let's talk about "investments" and "justifications")
. . . !!

I'm very big on the subject of responsibility.  Accordingly, I tend to
focus my efforts on those things for which I'm responsible -- which,
as it turns out, and as reflected in the organization of my Center,
means "explaining" our current situation to those who are actually
responsible for "making" *robots* and using CRISPR &c.  Not the
distant past or distant future.  Explaining "today," today.

My responsibility is to talk with others who are also responsible.
And so on.  (Btw, I got that responsibility from my father, who, in
turn, took it from his mentor, Norbert Wiener, who got it from his
father, and so on.)

Recently a group from the Center engaged with a conference at NYU
billed as "Posthuman Ethics."  It was mostly the sort of silliness
that you'd expect from such a group, until a professor from Stony
Brook got up and read them the riot-act by constructing a scary CRISPR
scenario -- revolving around what is (or is not) actually going on
today at Brookhaven Labs (managed by Stony Brook).

He correctly said that "the nerds in the labcoats have no interest in
your fancy philosophy" (and I've had similar experiences in China and
elsewhere).

So, in my case, the goal is taking responsibility for my part in the
wider puzzle, under radically different conditions in a baffling *new*
paradigm (in which virtually everything that we thought we understood
from the previous one is no longer valid) . . . !!

Mark

P.S. As I hope I've made clear, I see *zero* reason why LIFE should
obey the "same rules" as MATTER (contra L.L. Whyte &al).  Therefore,
LIFE doesn't "violate" anything and, indeed, the 2nd Law simply
doesn't apply (btw, a conclusion I reached as a PhD student nearly 50
years ago).  This becomes important when "complexity science" is
introduced, since this is the modern re-formulation of the 2nd Law,
based on "chaotic" astro-physics -- yes, done as another attempt to
"unify" science.  I've spent a lot of time with these folks and have
concluded that they have gotten it all wrong (and are nasty about it,
to boot).  When they try to extend this to MIND and CULTURE it just
becomes stupid.  My suspicion is that these errors are the result of
ignorance of Aristotle's "Four Causes," which, as I've suggested, are
*all* needed to "integrate" Human Knowledge.